Sunday, October 31, 2010

Graduation and Going Home

Graduation was a rainy, but beautiful day. We had to have the ceremony inside instead of the outside stage. But it all worked out. Prior to the graduation, the puppy raiser was brought to my room, whom Melanie hadn't seen in 6 months. She had lived with her puppy raiser for 14 months. Of course. Melanie was estatic to see her and I handed her the leash so they could reunite, with Melanie giving her kisses and wagging her tail. It was a very touching moment and I was thrilled to meet the woman who helped nurture her loving spirit and socialized her to our busy, noisy world. She had a bag of presents for Melanie and me: a book of Melanie's baby photos, a big nyla bone (her favorite), a GDB blanket, a Christmas stocking made by a friend/volunteer with Melanie's name on it. I was thrilled to see a couple of our BVIC folks at the graduation. There were a couple of speeches by the Administration and the students sat at the front of the staging area with their puppy raiser sitting opposite with the dog and holding the leash. When each student was introduced, the puppy raiser came and stood next to the student and handed the leash back to the student. Each of the students gave a short thank you and the puppy raiser spoke. Most of the puppy raisers were very emotional about having to give up their loving puppies but all knew that it was for a very special reason and were also happy to have been a part of it. The puppy raiser and student shared addresses and phone nos. and will keep in touch as the new team bonds and grows.

After graduation, all were invited to mingle with refreshments or take a tour of the campus. As we had a long ride home, we decided to leave pretty quickly. The ride was very smooth and comfortable as my husband had rented a brand-new Cadillac to take home that very special little girl. She lay on the back floor on her rug with her nyla bone and slept pretty much the whole way home. I was concerned that we might have to stop and relieve her but she slept like a baby. When we got home, I took her to the back yard to relieve and she did so that meant I was relieved (Hooray). I fed her and let her settle down near the kitchen/dining room entrance and she was so excited and seemed to know this was home. The most surprising thing to me is that my little cat, Minime, came out right away to investigate and when I knelt down she gave me her little kis and rubbed me all over. After 3 weeks I thought she might at least be mad at me, but no, she was happy to see me! She was really curious about Melanie, and kept walking around the kitchen area, stopping, and staring at her. I think they are going to be great friends. However, our other cat, Butterfly, stayed in the closet in her bed and when I reached in to pet her she just hissed at me and hasn't come out of the closet, except to use the box, but she ate her meals in her bed. I think she's planning something. All in all, the first day home was a big success.

No comments:

Post a Comment