Thursday, September 16, 2010

GDB is Waiting for Me!

I got my confirmation emal from GDB adminissions wherein I'll need to arrive at the campus on 10/11/10 between 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. I am to go directly to the dormitory where I will be greeted by someone in attendance and shown to my room. I was also given the names of 4 of my instructors. I will also receive for use a Victor Streaming Reader unit to download class material, as well as books from the Library of Congress and from Recording for the Blind. There is also an option to purchase the unit. I will be given my own voicemail in my room

My O&M instructor has been working very intensely with me and I've attually taken our local public transportation all by myself and met her at the main terminal. Sounds like a simple thing, but I actually haven't taken a bus on my own for about 40 years and it's really strange when the landmarks you've known for so many years as a visual person, can hardly be made out and you have to rely on messages from the bus announcements, ask the bus driver, or really plan in advance, (which I did). I have a lot more difficult routes to learn, but at least I'll be a little more oriented to this type of travel with a Guide Dog when I get to San Rafael. Life is Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment