Monday, July 26, 2010

Training My Cat Like a Guide Dog?

I decided to train my cat, Minime, to find food items I drop on the kitchen floor, like a frozen pea or corn. She used to go right to them because she's always hanging around the kitchen during meal preparation. Well, as soon as she found something, I'd praise and rub her but didn't give her any special treats. Because she likes to eat too much, I try to be careful of her diet; however, after a while she wouldn't go right to the food item, she'd just sit and stare at it andwatch me try to find it by myself. After hearing how Guide Dogs are trained to perform certain actions with praise and one small kibble treat, I decided to try it on Minime. Well, it's been working like a charm; every time somethng falls from the kitchen counter, she runs right to it, sits there and waits for her praise and one bite of her kibble. Now, she's running all over the house looking for things to bring me. This girl can't get enough treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment