Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Happy Ending

I finished listening to Tom Sullivan's story (with narration by Tom and Betty White) about his "Leading Lady", Dinah, his first Guide Dog. One of his stories told how he went swimming and how Dinah helped save his life after he got in trouble. Guide Dogs are not trained to guard or protect the handler, other than the usual hazards of finding curbs, steps and doorways. Tom knew that his Golden Retriever was a natural swimmer and the only thing he could of was to tell her to find the stairs, the door, anything to get her attention. She did realize his situation and swam over to him and led him to safety. She literally saved hts life that day. I can't imagine that happening to me unless I fall off a boat but like to think there'dbe a way to communicate a harrowing situation in Guide Dog language. I'm prepared that it may never happen the way it did for Tom; I'm just looking for a dog to warn me of overhanging branches and high curbs.

Well, we just finished celebrating July 4th, Independence Day, and made me think that the life I'm embarking on now with a Guide Dog is my Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment