Sunday, July 11, 2010

Guide Dog and Cupcakes

I had a training session yesterday with my O&M instructor using the "Juno" dog handle. My husband thought it would be a good idea if while on my walk (blindfolded) that I should stop at the new cupcake boutique and bring back a box of their cupcakes. I'm thinking this should be interesting, considering that when I get a Guide Dog I will probably be going to a store now and then and need to figure out howto carry things back with me while using my left hand to hold the handle and leash and my right hand as a directional sginal for the dog. Well, it turned out quite interesting, more like a TV sitcom. My instructor was holding the cupcake I bought for her while I was balancing the box of cupcakes in my right hand. Obviously, no hand signals could be given so I used verbal commands as far as I could. Finally, we just dropped the handle and walked back to my house. This is obviously something I need to work with the GDB instructors. I mean, really, who doesn't need cupcakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment