Thursday, June 24, 2010

People Get Excited About Guide Dogs

Ever since the word got out I was accepted at GDB in San Rafael, people have been so excited, encouraging and inquisitive. Many of the questions and comments have come from my friends at the BVIC (Blind & Visually Impaied Cener of Monterey County). They want to know what kind of dog I'll get, how long the training takes, but just happy that I'd be getting a Guide Dog. Most people really like dogs, but a Guide Dog has a special feeling to it because for a blind person, your life is in the Guide Dog's paws! I got a call from one of my fellow board members who asked if she could email a previous BVIC employee who trained me in Braile. Of course, I said yes. She also has a tape of Tom Sullivan, a well-known blind actor, storyteller, singer, author, and many other wonderful things, in which he talks about his time at the San Rafael campus of GDB. I'm looking forward to listening to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment